Friday, October 29, 2010

My new hobby

I'm not a sewer, a scrap-booker, or a crafter.  I don't have a home garden, nor do I clip coupons.  I don't endlessly compare bargain prices to save a few pennies.  I don't knit, crochet, or make doilies.  I'm not denigrating those of you that do, honestly!  In fact, I just don't know how you ladies do it!  I read these blogs from women who feed their families on $20 a week and I say, "HOW??" as my mouth gapes open, and I drool with envy.  My idea of bargain shopping is going to Macy's with my 20% off coupon, and my idea of craft-time is getting a new photo of my 6 month old in a frame and up on the wall before it's out of date.

I love the idea of having a hobby, but having a baby sort of gets in the way of that.  Above, I mentioned many of the more traditional hobbies of the stay at home mom.  But in my world, I can't even keep my kitchen clean.  As I type, my living room is a disheveled mess, my kitchen table is speckled with various bills and other pieces of mail, and my baby's toys are creeping out of their bin, stretched across my living room floor.  How can I learn to sew, stitch, or craft when these basic house-keeping chores are so out of order?  More importantly, how can I be a mom and still have something to do that I enjoy; something that's just for me?  Enter blogging.

Now blogging is a hobby I can get behind.  Talk about a blank canvas!  Nothing thrills my little former English teacher's soul like WRITING!  As my fingers graze over the keys, a picture emerges.  Hues of brilliant color of a life being lived splash across the screen.  Voila!  Suddenly, a unique work of art is born.  In the midst of endless piles of laundry, a house that needs cleaning, dinners that must be made, groceries that must be bought, this is my outlet.  This is my hobby.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Maybe you'll inspire me to get back to my own blog :)
    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I enjoyed reading this...and by the way, my house looks exactly like yours! :) Thanks for sharing your heart! <3

    ReplyDelete