I met my husband about 6 1/2 years ago. His brother and fiancée were getting married, and I was invited. I knew his brother and fiancée, Jennifer, from college. So in June of 2004, I made the long and extremely boring trek across Kansas to Colorado Springs for their wedding. I was to help the bride get ready. My job was to do her makeup and help her with whatever she wanted help with. I'll never forget meeting him. The bride's mother had brought us girls lunch. It consisted of turkey and a veggie tray, complete with ranch dressing dip. Just as I was about to plunge a carrot into the ranch dip, her mother, Barb, took the dressing away, fearing it would grace one of our dresses uninvited. Seriously??? What good are veggies without the dip? Fast forward into the sanctuary during photos, I was retelling the story to the groomsmen. My future hubby stepped up and very comically, and in slow motion, said, "Nooooo....nnnooottt the rrrraannch dddrrreesssing!" I laughed, and in that split second, I was attracted. Alas, he lived in Los Angeles, and I made my home in the Midwest. It was doomed from the start, or so I thought.

One day in October of that year, I got an email from him. That began the long distance relationship that culminated in marriage on December 17, 2005. He was able to get a job in Kansas City, and we began our life together that cold December. In the beginning, I was so unsure about him. I misunderstood almost everything he said to me and probably frustrated him more than anyone had before. Not only were we wading through the newness of marriage, but also the fact that we'd only lived in the same city for two months. It was challenging to say the least. I would definitely say that he loved me much more than I loved him, at first. I had this grand vision of how love was supposed to be. It involved crazy, mad love that made you just sick from ups and downs. Thanks to Hollywood, I had a very convoluted vision of love, until I met my husband. Suddenly one day, I realized that I couldn't live without him either. He'd truly become my "other half," and I wouldn't have it any other way.

On Friday, we celebrated five years together. What a wonderful five years they've been. Those years have seen a lot of change. In the last five years, we've traveled together to the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, and Australia. We've moved twice, including to a new state, we've collectively switched jobs five times, we've each earned Master's degrees, we've been happy, sad, and everywhere in between. We've lost loved ones and pets, and experienced the most overwhelming joy in the birth of our daughter. Our lives have never been void of excitement and adventure. It seems like the older I get, the more people I know who are getting divorced. Every time I hear of some old friends or acquaintances who are separating, my heart breaks a little more. In that same moment, I feel guilty that I have such a good marriage. God has really blessed us, and I am so fortunate. Men who love their wives, children, and are faithful to them alone are a rare breed. Sometimes, it takes a little reminder for me to remember how good we have it. I'm so thankful for him. He is such a good husband. This five year remembrance isn't just a celebration, it's a mile-stone. It reminds me of the second-best decision I ever made (the first was trusting in Christ as my Savior), marrying my husband. I chide myself when I remember back to how uncertain I was while we were engaged. God is good, all the time.
I love this... and I can definitely see James in slow-mo about the ranch dressing! :-) Miss you guys, it was good to see you in Nov at the wedding! Congrats on the 5 years!
ReplyDelete