Friday, March 2, 2012

Spring has sprung

Yes, indeed!  It's spring here in central Texas.  It's a bright and beautiful 82 degrees today, and this Texan is loving it!  As I mentioned in my previous post, I love this time of year.  Actually, I really love anytime of year, except winter.  And even winter has its charms.  My favorite thing about winter was when it would snow at night.  The snow would be thick like a blanket on the frozen earth, and the flakes would fall flawlessly toward it.  When it snows at night, everything is so bright.  Beams of light get trapped beneath the clouds and reflect off the snow. It's so amazing!  Of course, in the midwest, a "windless" snowfall was rare, but when it happened, I couldn't turn my eyes away.  But I digress....

I also love the changing of the seasons.  In my soul, I sense the presence of God most of all at this time.  I think it's because the seasons show us so much about God's character.  For one thing, they come, every year without fail.  Oh sure, sometimes they come a tad bit late or early, but they come nonetheless.  Just as the seasons come without fail, God never changes.  He's the same today, yesterday and tomorrow.  This truth about God is so comforting to me for some reason.  I guess it's because there is precious little in this world that I can count on.  I crave stability and reliability.  I know I have that in my God.  I also think that the changing seasons show the creativity of God.  Anyone who's taken a drive from Austin to Fredricksburg in late March knows what I'm talking about.  There are so many varieties of Texas wildflowers that grow in the spring.  It's really quite beautiful and amazing.  I also feel that the changing seasons show God's desire to bring joy to His children.  Each season is full of beauty and charm, all unique to that season.  The seasons also invite us to enjoy God's amazing creation.  From ski trips to camping trips, there are so many fun activities that can be done outdoors!

Here in Texas, some of my favorite signs of spring have arrived.  First, it's been warmer lately.  This week, we've had temps in the 70's and 80's.  I was even able to turn off our heater!  Secondly, the Texas Mountain Laurels are in bloom.  We have a large one in our front yard.


This is our tree.  It's covered with purple, grape-like clusters of flowers.  It also smells amazing!  Every time I go out the front door, or get out of my car, I smell it.  My neighbor calls these trees, Texas Lilac.  It's actually a very good description, because they are fragrant and sweet smelling, like Lilac.  

Here are the blooms up close
I love this tree!  We have another Mountain Laurel on our property, but it's not blooming as much just yet.

In addition to our Mountain Laurels, my bougainvillea is beginning to bloom again!  I absolutely love this plant!  I've seen them in tropical places and in California, but they never would have survived winter in Kansas City.  I bought one last summer and put it on my front porch.  


My roses are also springing to life (no pun intended).  I can't wait until all of my rose bushes are covered!  They smell so good and look gorgeous.  Pretty soon, the wildflowers will be in full bloom too.  Since last year's wildflowers were so sparse, I'm thinking of taking a day trip with hubs and Juliet to the hill country.  We're going to have to explore some back-roads looking for hidden patches of beauty.  I can't wait to get some new family photos in a bluebonnet field.  That's a Texas tradition I plan to carry on as long as we live here.  Yes, I'm enjoying the early signs of what's to come.  Bring on the summer!  


1 comment:

  1. Your flowers look beautiful! I just stumbled upon your blog and I always love finding fellow Austin mommies :) I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my blog when you get a chance!

    http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

    ReplyDelete