Wednesday, May 16, 2012

See Charity Run

I've always hated running.  The very word conjures up visions of "conditioning" (a.k.a. torture) for tennis in middle school.  Conditioning was my least favorite part of my tennis experience.  Although I'd agree it was a necessary evil, we always did it in August, in Texas...in 100-110 degree weather.  Plus, it's ten degrees hotter on the blacktop.  Needless to say, this was not an experience I enjoyed.

As a consequence, my adult life has been spent in the pursuit of *NOT* running, and I wasn't ashamed to say I hated it.  I've always loved spending time at the gym, but running just was not on the program.  However when the new year rolled around, so many of my friends began a regimen called the couch to 5k.  For two months, I watched so many people start this program and actually see success!  I thought if everyone else could do it, maybe I could too.  So somewhere around the middle of February, I started the program.

I didn't tell anyone, except hubs.  Secretly, I figured I'd get to week three or four and probably quit.  I started out running in spurts, per the program.  I'd walk for a minute and a half or so, and then run for sixty seconds for about 25-30 minutes.  I began to think, "I can do this!"  Before I knew it, I was half-way through the program and still going strong!  In week seven, I got to the part where there were no more walking breaks.  Week seven was running for 25 minutes straight.  That week was really hard for me.  In fact, I did that week twice, but I didn't quit.  By the time I finished week nine, I was able to run for 30 minutes straight!  I still can't believe it.

I finished week nine two weeks ago, and can you believe it, I'm still running!  Right now, I'm working on increasing my speed.  I'm a terribly slow runner.  As a result, I hadn't actually run a 5k (3.1 miles) until last week.  I got to 30 minutes and thought, "I really want to run that 5k."  It took me 36 minutes.  At that point, I figured I should just run to 40 minutes since I was almost there...so I did!  In that workout, I ran 40 minutes, 3.4 miles; my longest run yet.  Some days aren't that great though.  On Monday, I got to minute 17 and felt like I was going to die, so I had to walk for a while.  It's funny how some days are much harder than others.  Overall though, I've been averaging 7-8 miles per week.  Not bad for the girl who hates running!

I'm finding that so much of running is mental.  I always find the first five minutes to be the hardest.  I just have to get my body going, and then it seems to go by so quickly.  I also prefer running outside.  I find the run goes by so much faster, but as it's coming up on summer in Texas, I think my running will mostly be indoors for the next few months.  Finally, I love listening to music while I run.  It's amazing how an upbeat song really gets my legs moving and improves my mental state.

I wouldn't say that I love running.  We still have a love/hate relationship.  Honestly, most mornings I have to force myself out the door and onto the treadmill, but I absolutely love the way I feel when I finish that 30 minute run!  I just feel so energized and proud of myself.  This is something I never thought I could do (even if I wanted to), and it feels so good to accomplish it!  I'm not sure what my next goal will be.  Right now, I want to be running faster, so I'll probably work on that before I work on increasing my distance.  The most important thing is that I'm doing it, and I feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment