This year, we decided not to throw a party. Instead, we invited my parents, brothers, and hubby's sister over for Rudy's BBQ and birthday cake from Sweet Treets, our favorite local bakery. My parents and one of my brothers were able to attend. Everyone came over around four o'clock on Sunday the 29th. We let Juliet play outside, ate the delicious food and cake and watched her open her presents. It was pretty low key, but lots of fun. Mostly, I can't believe my baby is now two years old! She's gotten so big, so fast. She talks (a lot), sings, has started pretending, "reads" her books (actually, she has some of them memorized), eats almost everything, runs constantly, and loves to "hop like a bunny". She has come a long way from that 6 lb. 4 oz. teeny, tiny bundle that I brought home from the hospital two years ago.
On Juliet's actual birthday (which was the following day), I took her to the doctor for her check-up. As I expected, I've got a healthy, growing little girl. She also got her first vaccine in almost two years, and I'm proud to say, she took it like a champ! She didn't even cry. She started to get a little upset, but then the nurse put a basket of stickers in front of her, and she perked right up! I was so proud of how brave she was.
My birthday was five days later. May 5 fell on a Saturday this year, which was nice. Hubs was home, so he took Juliet most of the day, while he sent me off to get a massage and a manicure/pedicure! It was such a special treat! The last time I had either was a year and a half ago when my parents took us all to Aruba. While at the hotel, I spent a morning in the spa. My feet were in desperate need of some pampering!
Then that evening, we had a babysitter come as we had 7pm reservations at Truluck's, a fabulous Austin restaurant. It was so delicious! Hubs and I hadn't had the opportunity to try this place yet, but it came highly recommended from friends and family, and it didn't disappoint. I had the sea bass and hubs got salmon. We also had a wonderful dessert called the chocolate bag, very similar to the one we used to order at McCormick & Schmick's in Kansas City. So good! I couldn't have imagined a nicer day. The next morning we all went to church together and then spent the afternoon at home. This really is my favorite way to spend the weekend; with my guy and my baby. It's perfection.
My birthday really does get overshadowed since Juliet came. Her birthday is far more fun, so there's all this build up and expectation for her big day. Then my birthday comes five days later just as we're all recovering from the excitement over hers. It's okay though; she's so worth it! All in all, it was a great week. We made a lot of memories as a family. It's truly one of the best weeks of the year!
No comments:
Post a Comment