Our squash plants are doing amazing! They are huge. We've actually pulled four squashes off of one of the plants already. I have a feeling we'll be eating lots of yellow squash this summer!
Our cucumber plants are doing really well too! They've grown a lot in the past few days actually. Two of them are growing out quite well and have flowers on them now. I absolutely love fresh cucumbers. I'm hoping we get lots so I can eat them everyday. They are my favorite!
The watermelon plants are also doing well. They two have grown a lot in the last few days. We weren't even sure these would survive at first, but they really look like they're thriving now.
The cantaloupe doesn't look as impressive. I think that part of the problem is that they are right on the border of the part of the garden that's shaded most of the day. I think they'd be looking better with more sun, but they too have shown progress in the last week or so. I'm hoping they will go nuts once they get a bit bigger. The shade in our garden is a blessing and a curse. In the middle of summer, it would be great, but right now, the plants just really need the sunlight.
Our tomato plants are huge. We have five, and all of them are taller than Juliet, and probably 2/3 of my height. They all have blossoms on them, and I know for a fact there are tiny tomatoes on at least four of them. We got two plants that are larger, sandwich variety tomatoes, one cherry tomato plant, one heirloom tomato plant (my favorite), and a variety called the Juliet tomato! It's a Roma.
We've actually had some issues with the tomato plants though. We did not buy tomato trellises that were big enough. Couple that with all the windy days we've had lately and you've got fallen over tomato plants. In spite of this, I think we are going to have a ton of tomatoes; more than we can eat, I'm sure!
| tiny Juliet tomatoes |
| one of the larger variety |
I also think we will have lots of green beans. They are growing up the trellis quite well. We even have some beans already too, but they're not ready to be picked. I hope we have lots because I love fresh green beans. I especially love to boil them with red potatoes and bacon. YUM!
My herb garden is also doing well. I've already had to give away oregano and basil twice because it was growing faster than I could use it. I used some of the basil to make some fresh pesto, which I put over chicken and linguine. I've also used the basil and oregano for home-made meat sauce for spaghetti. I really love having fresh herbs to cook with.
We've learned a lot about gardening over the last month. I bought some miracle grow and started using it on the plants every two weeks. It made a HUGE difference. We had some plants that were really struggling and have grown exponentially since I started using it. I've also learned our garden dries out pretty quickly on sunny days. I have to water almost daily. Weeding the garden is a 24/7 job! I weed the garden one day and go out the next day to find tons of weeds have sprung up in the place of the plucked ones. It's frustrating, but part of the job I guess. It will be worth it if I get to enjoy fresh produce all summer long.
Also, my flowers are in full bloom right now too! I thought you'd enjoy seeing some pics of my beautiful roses!
I love living in a place where roses grow easily and don't require too much work.
So all in all, the garden seems to be successful thus far. Of course, the real proof will come in a couple of months! I'm really looking forward to enjoying the fruits of my labor. Having a garden is hard work!
I love cooking with your fresh herbs too!!!!
ReplyDelete