Friday, December 14, 2012

Like the rest of you, I heard some terrible news today; news that shook me, unnerved me, made me ill.  Twenty little ones...gone.  Why?  It is so senseless.  My heart knows the ache those parents must be feeling tonight.  As a mother, my absolute worst fear is that something will happen to one of my children.  And although I know their future is completely and utterly out of my hand, I feel the fear even so.  For I can imagine nothing worse in this life than the feeling of empty arms that were once filled with beautiful children.  Even though I can only imagine this pain, the mere thought of it breaks my heart so thoroughly that I can scarcely breathe.

So tonight, like you, I will hold my babies.  I will stroke their hair.  I will lay in bed next to my youngest and sing, "It is Well."  I will cuddle up next to her and let her put her arm around my neck and play with my hair.  I will kiss my older daughter goodnight, and sing her a song if she desires.  I will tell them, "I love you."  I will kiss them until they push me away.  In the days to come, I will turn off the news in their presence.  I will protect their perfect innocence, just for a little while longer.  I will reinforce their belief that they are safe with me, and always will be.  I will shield them from the fact that there is evil in this world for as long as I can.  I will love them, the best way I know how...I will love them.



In loving memory 
of the twenty precious little ones,
and the six adults who cared for them,
at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
May God comfort and keep you and your families,
now and always.  

No comments:

Post a Comment