Friday, November 12, 2010

Struggles with belief

I just finished a ladies Bible study at my church.  It was a Beth Moore study entitled, "Believing God."  What a timely study it was.  Over the summer, I ran into a mini-faith crisis.  I prayed so diligently, so hard, believing that God would save a 24-week preemie; but He didn't.  At first, when I received the news on Facebook, I prayed because that's what a good Christian does.  But as the days progressed, and each day, this precious little soul survived, I found myself believing more and more that he was going to live and God would be glorified.  So why then did God choose to take this little baby home?  I have no idea.  But I was left behind wondering and asking God a very heartfelt, "Why?"

Just a few short weeks later, I began this Beth Moore study.  The study is based on five premises: God is who He says He is, God can do what He says He can do, I am who God says I am, I can do all things through Christ, and God's word is alive and active in me.  The very first week hit me like a ton of bricks.  Now, you'd think that I, having a Bible College Bachelor's degree and a Seminary Master's degree would have simple, basic faith down, right?   Wrong.  It surprised me too!  The verse that pierced me through the heart was Hebrews 11:6, which basically says, "Without faith, it's impossible to please God," (CSV-Charity Standard Version).  As we watched the video that week, I cried.  I remembered times as a teacher, when my students would ask for prayer for a terminally ill friend or family member, and my unbelieving spirit would think, "We'll pray for that, but I know how that prayer's going to be answered."  Shame on me.  Shame on me!  How could I have been so faithless?  I went home that day and pleaded with God to help me have real, living, active faith.  I prayed that He would forgive my faithless heart and show me His power in my life.  As I went through the last ten weeks of this study, I saw the Holy Spirit convict me on numerous counts...and I thought this study would be a cake-walk!  I think my greatest difficulty is that I put God in a box.  I've said this before, and I really believe it to be true...my Bible College and Seminary training is a blessing and a curse: a blessing because I know a lot about God, and a curse because I THINK I know a lot about God.

I still don't know why God allowed that sweet baby boy to pass away.  I prayed through tears for days and weeks for his little life to be spared.  I didn't even know him or his family, but I was profoundly moved by his short life.  But this I do know, God is good, He is loving, and He is kind, more so than I could ever dream of being myself.  His ways are infinitely better, wiser...etc...than mine.  So while I can't tell you why that little boy had to leave us, I do know this; I'm believing God!  

2 comments:

  1. Wow Charity. Thanks for your honesty. We all struggle with belief, especially when tragedy happens. Sounds like God has brought you on quite the journey! ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an incredible read for me, Churt. To be honest, I didn't even realize at first that you were the author. I thought I was reading the thoughts of some high-up women's ministry icon! You should be proud:)

    But more importantly, this was a wonderful reminder that o matter how far we go in life, God never changes. He desires our faith and trust in him above all else.

    ReplyDelete