Saturday, November 27, 2010

Traditions

I love the holiday season.  I love the crispness in the air, the lightness in people's steps, the joy in the laughter of children, and the way that busy people suddenly seem a little less busy and a little more friendly.  Sometime around the middle of November, I find myself humming Christmas music and day-dreaming about trees, lights, family, and dinners.  This year is especially exciting for me because my sweet daughter will experience her first Christmas.  I want it to be special for her, even though I know she won't remember.

I'm such a sentimental sap.  I hold tradition and family in high esteem.  While my mother isn't quite the "sap" that I am, we definitely had holiday traditions of our own.  We had a fake tree.  My dad was allergic to pine so we could never have a real tree...that always made me sad.  But I remember vividly our decorating tradition.  The day after Thanksgiving, Mom would get out our faux tree, and Dad would put it together in what we called "the New Room."  (It was our den).  Mom would have boxes of ornaments, some hand made, all color coordinated and VERY 80's.  Our tree colors were cream, pink and mint green.  It sounds gross, but I remember it as being so very lovely.  After Mom got the white lights strung around the fake branches, we would all join in the decorating fun.  Mom had a specific order of what when on when.  While we hung bows, balls, and bibles, we listened to Evie.  Does anyone else remember Evie?  "Come on ring those bells, light the Christmas tree!  Jesus is the king, born for you and me.  Come on ring those bells, everybody sing!  Jesus we remember this your birthday."  And when the last ornament was hung, we stood back and stared in awe at the beautiful tree.  After the tree came the rest of the house.  Our house was always so lovely at Christmas.

Needless to say, as an adult, I have traditions of my own.  I wanted China when I got married.  I registered for a lovely Wedgwood pattern.  I actually became distressed when I noticed no one was buying them for us.  As a girl, I would get out the china and set our dining room table before Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  I had visions of my own daughter doing the same thing some day, and my China was very important to me.  Thankfully, I did receive it...thanks Gram!

We always have a real tree.  We've talked about getting a fake one, but I just love the smell and look of a real tree.  I missed that as a child, and I don't want my kids to miss it too.  My very first Christmas out of college, Tabby and I bought a small tree for our little apartment in Raytown.  As she pulled out her mismatched ornaments, I was aghast.  "They don't match."  I said in awe.  Not only that, but Tabby used colored lights!  Can you tell I'm a creature of habit??  After 20 years of my mom's decorating style, I just could not believe someone would use colored lights and non-color coordinated ornaments.  Well, fortunately, my friend Tabby broke me of that belief!  My tree always has colored lights, and it definitely has mismatched ornaments...and I wouldn't have it any other way.  As I pull each ornament out and hang it on the tree, I remember the person who gave it to me.  Each one has a story.  I can't wait to do this with Juliet this year.  Even though she won't be any help, I still can't wait.  I've already been searching endlessly for the perfect "Baby's first Christmas" tree ornament.  So far, no luck.  But fortunately, thanks to Amy and Amber, I do have an ornament with her name on it.  They gave it to me last year while I was still pregnant, and it will grace our tree again this year.  

While I love traditions; decorating the house and the tree, meals with family, setting out my china, hanging Christmas stocking made by my Aunt, etc...I try not to let the real reason for the season slip my mind.  Now that I have a child of my own, I especially feel the need to impress upon her little heart the true meaning of the holiday.  Jesus Christ, born as a man, sent by God to dwell among us so that one day, He might save us.  Celebrating that truth is the greatest tradition of all.

1 comment:

  1. Charity, I am so blessed by what you've been sharing here. I love Christmas, and I think fondly back on that first shared Christmas tree. i remember well the dubious look you gave me as I unpacked my hodge-podge of ornaments. LOL!

    ReplyDelete