Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Very Special Day

Somewhere in all the madness and chaos of Liesel's surgery and recovery, she had a first with us.  It was kind of a big deal.  My sweet little beauty celebrated her first birthday with us on February 15, 2013.  She turned five.  What a milestone.  I think of what her birthday must have been like before this one, and it almost makes me cry.  No mom and dad or siblings crowed around a cake, singing, wishing good things, giving gifts, hugs and kisses.  No well wishes from family and friends.  No innocent little girl giggles and talk of princesses and castles, tea parties, ice cream or cake.  Not one person to even remember the gift she brought to the world in being born.  Not one person to celebrate the miracle of life in her.  Not. Even. One.  My heart is so heavy thinking these thoughts.  But she is alone no more.

Despite my pregnancy, I had the forethought to plan a huge birthday party for her BEFORE her surgery.  We set the date for Saturday, February 2, and I decided to use a Valentine's theme.  Normally, we are not big birthday party people.  Usually, it's a family only affair with cake, dinner and a few presents, but I wanted this one to be special for her.  I wanted it to be a birthday party she'd always remember.  I wanted her to be spoiled and showered with gifts, attention and love.  Mission accomplished.  See for yourself.



This gorgeous cake was made by a nearby bakery, Sweet Treets.  The bottom layer was chocolate with fresh strawberry filling, and the top layer was vanilla with fresh strawberry filling.  You can't see it in this picture, but it was covered with edible glitter so the whole cake shimmered!  Click HERE for their website.  Check them out; they do amazing work!  We LOVE them! 


The birthday banner in this picture is hard to read, but it was custom made.  It said, "Happy Birthday, Liesel!"  My good friend from college owns a company that makes custom invitations, banners and gorgeous, rustic cake stands.  Click HERE for their website.  The banner was PERFECT, by the way.  

Because what birthday party is complete without a candy bar??

Pin the tail on the donkey

We had beautiful weather that day.  We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day.  The highs were in the 80's.  We corralled all the kiddos outside, and they were more than happy to run around, play on our play-ground, blow bubbles, and just generally have a good time.

Making Valentine's photo frames


This was my favorite moment of the entire party.  I love the look of awe on her face as she stares up at her beautiful cake.  When everyone began to sing, "Happy Birthday to You," she had a look of total surprise and delight.  I'm guessing she didn't know anything about this tradition.  I usually try to prepare her in advance for things like this, but it totally slipped my mind this time, and I'm glad.  I couldn't have manufactured the innocent pleasure on her sweet face as all the people in the room celebrated her birth.  It was a pure and beautiful moment.  I will always treasure that memory.

Ready for cake.  

I think she's happy! 

A table FULL of gifts! 
Thank you to everyone who celebrated with us!  It really was a special day; one I hope she'll remember for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment