"You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of the dust.
You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of us."
"You make me new, You are making me new.
You make me new, You are making me new."
I returned from my run to find the most precious people in my life, laughing and running and playing in the yard next to my in-laws home. A wave of gratefulness and thanksgiving washed over me at once. Hot tears burned my eyes.
I stood at the end of the driveway and watched, hidden from their sight, soaking in every laugh, every squeal, every smell and sight in my mother in law's garden. Such beauty, such blessing. God met me that morning.
I got home from that trip, and ran my 5k, which went very well. But after that, summer began and life was busy, so I put away my running shoes for a while, too long really. This morning, I determined that I would run again. I packed up my littles and headed for the gym. Finding my treadmill, I began my run. Suddenly, a song came on that immediately set my heart to worship. Today, it was SMS Shine, by David Crowder.
"Come break the quiet
Breathe your awakening
Bring me the light
Cause I am fading.
Surround me with the rush of angels' wings.
Shine Your light so I can see You
Pull me up, I need to be near You
Hold me, I need to feel loved
Can You overcome this heart that's overcome?"
I don't know why I needed to hear those words today, but clearly I did. In an instant, everything around me faded away and again, I felt my eyes well up with gratitude to God. I felt a strong urge to lift my arms and start singing at the top of my lungs. I'm not an arm raiser, y'all, so I can only deduce that I was in the midst of a time of sweet worship with the Holy Spirit Himself. I didn't raise my hands, after all, I was in the gym. But I did lift them a little and sing in my heart. Those four minutes went by so quickly, and I felt refreshed.
This is one the many reasons I love to run. I find gratitude and joy in the mundane, step by step, breath by breath, mile by mile. God sustains me in each step, and my heart bursts with thanksgiving for all that I have, all that I enjoy, all that I see around me. For me, running is a time to meet with God, to reset my perspective, to say thanks, and to do what He created me to do, worship.
"Shine Your light so all can see it
Lifted up, cause the whole world needs it
Love has come, what joy to hear it
He has overcome, He has overcome!"




No comments:
Post a Comment