Since when did honesty become optional? It really seems like that is the case today. I guess I shouldn't be entirely surprised, but I am. Tonight, the hubby and I (and Juliet) went over the our fav bakery to snag some bubble teas at half-price during happy hour. I stayed in the car with J while my husband went inside to purchase the drinks. There were several people in the bakery placing orders, so he brought me the change and went back inside. It's important for you to know that this is a weekly ritual. So I know that two bubble teas at happy hour are about $4.20. I gave my hubby a 20, so why was I staring at $16 and change? The clerk had given us one dollar too much. When my husband came back out with the drinks, I told him she'd given us too much change, and he took the extra dollar back inside to her. As he was leaving, a woman who'd been in the bakery with him said to him, "That's some great karma!" Really??? What happened to doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do? What happened to honesty and principles? Aside from the fact that karma is a load of, well, you know what. When he told me what she'd said, it just irked me.
A similar thing happened to us a few months ago at our local grocery store. The clerk only scanned one of the two items we were purchasing, and I noticed because I knew the price of both. When I pointed out his mistake to him, he said, "Wow! That was honest." Is it just me, or is it sad that people are shocked by honesty?
What's even more shocking and sad to me is the number of people who think it's okay to just leave with extra money when it's been given to you mistakenly. I had a discussion about this with my mom recently, who told me that her brother (who is a Christian) thinks there is nothing wrong with doing this. I'm sorry...there's nothing wrong with STEALING?!?! My uncle isn't the exception, I'm afraid. Otherwise, people wouldn't be so shocked when I choose to do the right thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you!! We do that all the time because, to be honest, you never know who is watching you! For example, you are at a restaurant and you pray, the servers observe this and deliberatly leave something off the bill, give too much change, etc. If you don't see see it or speak up you have just ruined any witness you may have had with that person. Tom isn't always as observant but I make sure we check the receipt and that we haven't missed an opportunity to show the character of Christ by making sure we do the right thing!! Like you I find it amazing that many people, including Christians think it's okay to just do it. Teresa P.
ReplyDelete