I've always been a bit of a loaner. When I was a child, I used to play in my room for hours. I'd make up stories, talk to my dolls, write poetry, play games...the possibilities were endless. As an adult, I continue to be that way to a certain extent. Most of my days are spent at home alone with my daughter, with the exception of some errands or visits with my parents. Contrary to what people would probably say, I'm also a very shy person. Although I've learned to get out of my comfort zone and strike up conversations with strangers, it's definitely not one of my strengths.
The nice part of being in Kansas City was my circle of friends. My husband and I had several couples from church that we really jived with, but in addition to that, I had some great girlfriends. Several of them I'd known since college. But since moving, I've just not found that with anyone. Seriously, it's pretty sad. Anytime my phone rings, I know it's either my mom or my husband. I guess I just thought by now, I'd have another friend or two.
Things get in the way of friendship. One such thing is sleeping upstairs right now, Juliet. It's not like I can just meet someone for coffee in the middle of the day, or go catch a movie and have dessert with a friend. I can't go hear a local band, or go shopping for hours on end. Having kids makes friendship much more difficult.
I had big plans for friendship. I mean, after all, I do have a sister-in-law here, and I'm in a MOPS group and a Bible Study. But it turns out that everyone seems to be just as busy as I am! I just can't seem to jive with anyone, and it's beginning to frustrate me.
Friends are such a blessing from God. A good friend is there for adversity; she sharpens me like iron on iron. She gives advice on a range of issues from what's for dinner, to what's wrong with my baby. She provides companionship and a listening ear when I'm frustrated or sad. She will watch my baby when my husband and I need a break, and I will return the favor. She gives wise counsel when I just don't know what to do. She'll keep me accountable on whether or not I'm doing my devotions and memorizing scripture. A good friend will do all this and more, and I'll do the same for her. I'm bringing my need to God, trusting him to provide me with the friendship my soul is longing for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
O Charity, I know exactly what you are going through since we just moved here last Fall. I had the same feelings of NEEDING a girl friend, a close friend who I could talk to, confide in, be accountable to, etc. Thankfully God provided me with one such friend and things are starting to feel better. I know I can't be there to watch Juliet for you, but I can do other things for you: pray, ask about your devos and memory verses, etc! You can always message me, or call (I'll message you my phone number) or whatever! We can help each other through while we wait for geographically close friends. :)
ReplyDelete