So much has changed this past year. I was reminiscing this morning on that thought. Today is June 6. It was last year on June 7 that three guys from Mayflower Moving Company showed up at our house and took all of our possessions to their truck. It was a long day! My memory is fuzzy, but there are a few bits and pieces that I remember with clarity. 1. Taking Juliet to be babysat by a close friend. 2. Finishing the last of the cleaning after all our furniture was out. 3. Sitting in the middle of the (empty) living room floor...and crying. 4. Checking into a hotel and making three trips to our car for all the stuff we needed for one night. 5. Eating Papa John's pizza in a dark room and watching T.V. while Juliet slept.
Leaving Kansas City was traumatic for me. It's so weird because I never wanted to go there in the first place. My mom forced me to go to Calvary Bible College. I always thought I'd go home when I finished, but at some point in my four years there, I really found my place. I don't know when it happened, but I grew to love living there. When we left for Texas, I'd lived in Kansas City for eleven years, more than one-third of my life; and it was not easy to leave behind. Couple that with the fact that we were moving three states away with a five-week old baby! It's no wonder I don't remember much!
We drove to Austin on June 8, 2010. It's been almost one year, and I really can't believe it. I just don't know where the time has gone. I'm not good with change. When I look back at my life, I can see that the most turbulent times coincide with big changes. Change is hard. About 6 months ago, my husband asked me if I was "happy" living in Austin. It's such an easy question, so why was the answer so hard? The truth is, the answer was and still is a bit of yes and no. I love being close to my family. I love that we now own a house. I love the weather here (I despise winter). I'm finally starting to make some friends, which is nice too. But despite all of that, there is still a big part of me that misses "home." I suppose some part of me will always think of Kansas City as my home. But for now, I'm celebrating this anniversary and the change it's brought, both good and bad. And I'm praying that some day soon, I'll begin to think of Austin as my home. I need my heart to catch up with my reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know what you mean, Charity. I have lived in Virginia Beach for a little over 6 years now, but I still consider the Boston area to be "Home". Don't get me wrong, I really do like living in Virginia Beach, it just doesn't feel like home yet. I was born in New York and lived there through high school graduation, but haven't consider that to be home in years; I even went 11 years (1997-2008) without even visiting - it took my mother being on her death bed to bring me back there! New England has felt like home for almost 20 years... I am still a Yankee even though I live in the South now. I don't think I will ever be a "Southerner".
ReplyDelete