Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The sin nature

Ah, the sinful man.  Anyone who says mankind is basically good has never had a child.  They've never seen their precious angel look them in the eyes while doing the very thing THEY KNOW they are not supposed to do.  Case in point: my sweet angel, Juliet.

Exhibit A:  Juliet knows she's not supposed to stand in the bathtub.  Once, while standing, she slipped and fell, hitting her head.  It's dangerous.  As her mother, I know this; she, however, does not understand...thus the "no standing" rule.  Her father will count to three.  Every time she manages to get her tiny-heine on the tub bottom before he gets to three....interesting.  So, last night, she's standing...AGAIN...hubster begins to count.  She moves toward him and hugs him.

"Ahhh...very sweet...now sit down...1....2....(another hug).  Okay....that was sweet Juliet.  I love you too.  Now sit down please...1.....2....(yet another hug)."

This went on for about five hugs.  She is the master manipulator.

Exhibit B:  Juliet is eating her dinner while I wash dishes.  She knows she's not supposed to throw food on the floor.  While I'm washing dishes, I suddenly hear a crash come from the dining room.  I come around the corner to see the tray cover on the floor.  My precious baby girl has taken the tray cover off and thrown it on the floor....sigh.

Finally, Exhibit C:  In the evenings when hubster gets home from work, he takes Juliet upstairs for some daddy/daughter play time.  She plays with him and her toys in the game room upstairs.  Every time he takes her up there, she heads straight for the guest bedroom.  There is a pine chest there, with a key...which she loves to grab and remove from the chest.  Usually, hubster shuts the door to avoid the problem.  Tonight, he was on his computer when our little angel comes up to him...key in hand.

It's been a long week.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, they are little sinners. Just wait, Charity! It gets even more exciting when you add more kids to the mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the hugs/kisses to forestall impending discipline. Our kids will often look at us with impish glee and say, "I love you!" in hopes of quashing incoming parental doom. Or, since we're now WELL into the tattling years, and they tattle over the stupidest things (and it's just plain not nice), we've forbidden it. "I love you!" is often a last-minute afterthought when they realize we know they're about to tattle, they know they're not supposed to, and yet, now that they have our attention, they have to come up with SOMEthing to say that won't get them in trouble.

    ReplyDelete