Friday, May 13, 2011

Orange kitchens, shades of blue and other gratuitous photos of my new house....

This is our new house! 
Cute, isn't it?  I love the little red door.  Moving day is just 8 itty-bitty days away, and we couldn't be more thrilled.  Of course, like all new homes, this one had it's quirks.  Here is our kitchen (furniture not ours).

Although the picture makes it look like a nice, cheery yellow, it was actually more like tangerine!  For all you realists out there, that's orange.  Let me just say, that orange should really only be an accent color.  Not only was this kitchen orange, but the oven was probably the original oven that came with the house way back in 1991.  Also, I think the cabinets are the originals too.  The kitchen does have some things going for it: it's open, quite large, lots of natural light, and right off of the living room.  It was really hard to over look the orange.  Every time I went in there, it just made me want to scream!  So what else was there to do but paint it a nice, soothing color?  We painted it blue.  This is our kitchen now.  

We are getting a new oven/dishwasher.

I painted the trim too!

Ahhh....much better!

This is our bedroom.  The furniture is not ours.  
Although it's hard to tell, this room was actually yellow...very yellow!  It wasn't an awful color, but out stuff doesn't really go with yellow very well, so we had to paint this one too.  We went with a pale shade of blue (paler than the kitchen) to match our browns in our furniture and bedding.  This is our bedroom now.


Originally, the paint for our bedroom was not this color.  It was actually a paler shade of blue.  When my hubby started to put it up on the wall, I looked at it and said, "That's white."  I couldn't see the blue at all!  Oh no!  So, rather than waste that entire bucket of paint, I added the little sample size can of blue paint from the kitchen, as well as some extra kitchen paint from the gallon bucket.  We mixed it and, voila!  The perfect shade of blue.  I felt like a genius....that is until we realized that bucket was not going to cover all the walls in our bedroom.  Enter Home Depot...I love Home Depot!  They have this wonderful, little thingy called, color match!!!  We took them the bucket of our mixed paint and they color matched it for us so that we could finish painting over the yellow.  

Besides these rooms, we painted our half bath.  It too is now a shade of blue.  We also painted our master bath brown and Juliet's room a pale, creamy yellow.  This past week, I've been working on trim.  The trim is different colors in different rooms, so I've been working on painting it white.  I'm really hoping to finish before we move in.  

And now, gratuitous photos of our living room...you know...just because...



Fortunately, I did not have to paint this room.  Dear pretty house, I can't wait to live in you! 

2 comments: