Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

This is my mother.  She's beautiful, isn't she?


No, she's not perfect.  And yes, we've had our share of disagreements.  But this Mother's Day, I wanted to share just how blessed I am to have her as my mom.

She trusted in Jesus only a few years before my birth, so while I was growing physically, she was growing spiritually.  Looking back on my childhood, I realize how fortunate I was to watch her mature in her faith, seeing her mistakes and her triumphs.  I saw a growing faith lived out in front of my very eyes.  She was always brutally honest with me about her life before Jesus.  She didn't want me to make the mistakes she had.  I appreciated that.  I know so many Moms are afraid to tell their kids about their lives, but my mom knew the value of being an example, both good and bad.

I have so many great memories of being with her.  She plays piano.  Our house was always filled with the sounds of her pounding the ivory keys, and since I love to sing, I often joined her.

She comforted me when I was sad.  I remember sitting with her on our ugly, blue, rocking, swivel chair; she stroked my hair while I cried. I don't remember what I was upset about....it doesn't matter.  She was always home.  I knew that when I came home from school, she would be there waiting for me.

Even though she hates to cook, she cultivated my love of cooking.  I remember loving being in the kitchen with her, even when I could barely see over the countertops.  She taught me how to make a pie crust and how to make a simple oil and vinegar salad dressing...my first cooking lesson.  She would always let me make cookies or pies when the mood struck me.  I'm sure I didn't clean up as well as she would have liked, but I don't ever remember her complaining about that.

She loved us, and we knew it.  She was always good at telling us that.

She is a servant.  She was constantly doing our laundry and cooking, and our house was always clean.  Not only did she do for us, but I remember her doing for others too.  Anytime we were at someone's house or church, she'd join in the preparations or clean up, without anyone having to ask it of her.  She opened her home when it was needed.  When I was in High School, she let one of my friends live in our house for two months as a difficult family situation was resolved.

I could go on an on.  I count myself blessed to have a mother who was and is such a good role model for me.   Mom, I hope you know how much I love you and how grateful I am that we live close by.  I'm so happy that my daughter will grow up knowing and loving you too.  I thank God for giving me such a wonderful mother, and I hope someday, my daughter will look at me the same way I look at you.  I love you.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment