I'm turning 30 on May 5. I guess it's a big milestone! Normally, I don't get all wierd around my birthday. Most days, I still feel like a kid fumbling through "adulthood", so age doesn't get me down. But this year, I find myself feeling nostalgic, even a bit sad. Up until recently, I couldn't figure out why! I mean, in reality, it's just another day, right? Although it is just another day, I guess what bothers me is that it signals the end of an era.
I loved my 20's. So much happened in that decade of my life! I graduated, twice. I got serious about my Christian walk. I met my two very best friends. I traveled to China (twice), Israel, Jordan, Aruba (3 times), Hawaii (3 times), Papua New Guinea, Australia, Italy, France, Croatia, Spain and Germany. I got married! My husband graduated with his Master's degree, and we spent 5 days in the D.C. area together. I had a baby and watched her turn one. I moved 4 times, one move taking me 3 states away! I've celebrate more friends' weddings/babies than I can count...a huge blessing in itself. We bought a house (we close May 2). I became an Aunt, 3 times over! I could go on. When I consider all that I've been blessed with in the last ten years, it's easy to feel overwhelmed.
Generally, I'm not a glass-half-empty kind of person. I know what y'all are thinking...it's what I've reminded myself over and over again. Yes, my 20's were wonderful. But some of the same joys and blessings await me in my 30's too. As I'm sitting here on my couch, I'm trying to imagine some of the blessings yet to come...our adoption. More babies?? Another move as my husband progresses forward in his career. Juliet will be 10 when I'm 39...I can't imagine! More trips...we are already saving for our 10th anniversary. Numerous fun family memories; trips to Six Flags, Sea World, and Schlitterbaun. My babies going to Kindergarten for the first time. I'm sure there are too many to count.
Some of my worst personality traits are melancholy traits. There are times when it's easy for me to sit, think and be sad. As I reflect over the last ten years, and imagine the next ten, I realize there is really no time for sadness. I've got a song going through my head right now...maybe you know the one I'm thinking of! "Count your blessings name them one by one. Count your blessings see what God has done. Count your blessings, name them one by one...Count your many blessings see what God has done!" Good-bye 20's, hello 30's.
 |
| My Wedding Day ~ Dec. 17, 2005 |
 |
| Honeymoon in Kauai, Hawaii |
 |
| Walking the Great Wall of China...in the rain! ~ 2005 |
 |
| The hubby and I in Sicily ~ 2007 |
 |
| Washington D.C. trip, 2009 |
 |
| Having fun at the Diaz's wedding ~ 2008 |
Charity, I'll be right there with you in January. I'm already dreading it, but hey! 30 is still very young and we will make it look great! God has really blessed you with some wonderful adventures in this past decade. Can't wait to see what He does for you in the next 10 years! <3
ReplyDelete