Did you ever wish to be sick when you were a kid? I did. The reasons for my desire to be sick were four-fold:
1. My mom was all "mothery" and very attentive when we were sick! She would bring me anything I needed.
2. I was allowed to eat anything, even if it meant my mom was making a trip to McDonalds, Subway, etc... Seriously, I remember pretty much only eating ice cream when I was sick. It was awesome!
3. My mom would wheel a T.V. into my room, and I was allowed to watch movies all day! This was a real treat as we didn't have cable, only had 4 channels, and barely got to watch them anyway.
4. I got to miss school.
Is anyone else with me? I mean, minus the vomit, fever, aches/chills, sore throats, tummy aches, and rashes, being sick rocked! Not so as an adult. Who has time to be sick? Not me. When I was teaching, I would get colds at least twice a year, sometimes more. Colds really stunk because I was never sick enough to miss work, but I always felt crummy enough to do things like tell my kids that 4+4=9. Oops! Maybe I should have stayed home!
It's only worse when you have kids. Not only do you not have time to stop and rest like you need to, you spend all your time worrying about whether or not your kids will get it. So today, when the nausea, tummy discomfort, aches and chills set in...I entered a carefully regimented routine of D-E-N-I-A-L. "I'm not sick! I'll just take a nap and feel better." It stinks when you can feel it coming on, and you know there is nothing you can do but let it happen. To make things worse, we are on a diet. So basically, all I want is bread, rice, bananas and okay, let's face it, cookie dough ice cream. But can I have any of those things?? Nooooo, of course not! Actually, the nausea is working in my favor because I don't really want to eat anything anyway. Also, my husband won't really let me help with Juliet. I got up to get her bottle before bed and when he saw me, he said, "What are you doing up? You're supposed to be on the couch." Don't get me wrong, not complaining. It's just weird for me to be expected to lay still on the couch.
And now I'm worried. What if Juliet gets sick? She's only been sick once! Even more importantly, we are supposed to fly to California next week...BAD time to get sick. I really do need to relax! Excuse me while I get a blanky, cup of tea and settle into the couch for the evening! 'Night, all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved being sick when I was a kid. Any excuse to stay home from school, really. Some of my favorite mommy-and-me memories are of when I was sick. She kept me supplied with a steady stream of popsicles and we always played board games and watched TV. NICE!
ReplyDelete