Sunday, April 10, 2011

Texas Bluebonnets

There are few things in this world that make me prouder to be a native Texan than a gorgeous field of bluebonnets.  They are, afterall, the state flower.  If you've never seen one, you're really missing out.  They kind of look like a tower of blue with white tips.  While the Texas countryside is dotted with wildflowers of all kinds, the bluebonnet stands out.  

Here in Texas, most parents like the have their children photographed in the fields of blue.  As a child, my parents were no exception to that rule.  We have photos of us kids in fields of bluebonnets.  We also have photos in fields of beautiful, pink primroses.  So, needless to say, now that we are living in Texas, I wanted photos of my daughter in fields of blue.  

Problem: we've had an exceptionally dry year.  As a result, there are precious few fields of blue this year.  Those that do exist look a bit sparse.  I've seen a few bluebonnets here and there along the highway, but no decent fields to photograph our daughter in.  Then, last Monday when I was on my way to Costco, as I was turning into the parking lot, I saw a large drainage ditch that was full (or at least partially so) of bluebonnets.  I didn't want to bring my daughter into the ditch by myself with a camera.  I guess you could say I felt a bit subconscious about it.  Afterall, what would people think if they saw me lugging her down into this field??  So, after church today, I made my husband come along!  It worked out pretty well.  The bluebonnets, though a bit sickly looking, were decent enough for some good photos.  There was even another family there doing the exact same thing.  Another woman walking on the trails nearby stopped to take photos for us (and the other family), so that we could all be in the picture.  

As we were walking back to the car, I looked at the camera and saw that I had taken about 200 pictures!  Fortunately, after sorting through them, I saw that we did get some good ones.  Now we can claim to be real Texans!  Yes, we've dressed up our daughter and plopped her in the middle of a field all in the name of photography!  I really hope she appreciates the pictures someday.  

Juliet with her daddy (I LOVE this one)

She's happy and she knows it!

Juliet with Mommy

The Nix's




No comments:

Post a Comment