Monday, April 18, 2011

In Case of Emergency...

(Photographer unknown)
The hills were burning.  As I drove home from my salon appointment yesterday, I could see the smoke, and I knew the hills were burning.  As I crossed the intersection of MoPac and 290, I glimpsed the source of the fire.  The smoke was wafting up from some brush covered hills near Oak Hill.  Fortunately, our home is about five miles from the fires.  Our new home is closer, only about two miles away, but the wind was blowing the flames away from our newly purchased home.

At five o'clock, we watched the local news.  The fires were in Oak Hill.  In fact, a neighborhood we looked at homes in had been evacuated.  Unfortunately, several homes were destroyed in the fire.  You can click here to see a slide show of fire pictures.  Some of them are quite stunning.

photo by: E. David Torres
During this news cast, they were sharing how an entire neighborhood had to be evacuated.  Families were given five minutes to collect a few things before they were forced from their homes.  It got me thinking...if we ever were given five minutes to leave our home, what would we bring.  First of all, I can't imagine this scenario.  It would be terrifying and frustrating.  We are blessed with family nearby that we could stay with, but still...it would be traumatic.  According to the story, experts recommend bringing important documents, a flashlight, first aid kit, battery-powered radio, a change of clothes, and some toiletries.  I have to say, my list would look somewhat different.  Here's my list:

-Of course, some clothes, jammies and toiletries.
-A Bible
-My daughter's blankie and Woombie
-Our photo/baby albums (they are easily within reach)
-my pillow
-our cats
-my purse (wallet and phone)
-my laptop
-our fire-proof safe (contains important documents)

These are the things I'd like to bring.  Of course, as I glance over the list, I really don't know how much of this would actually make it into our car, especially if we only had five minutes.  While I know that my life is not defined by my "things", it's still hard to imagine losing everything as some families did yesterday.  My question to you is, what would you bring?  If you had five minutes to leave your home, what would make the cut?  What is most important to you in your life?  Of all the things I listed above, the only real necessities are ourselves!  Things can be replaced, people can't.  So, what would you bring?
-

2 comments:

  1. My three dogs, the teddy bear waffles, my computer, some clothes, purse and file boxes, and my old diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our laptop, important files (birth certs, etc), maybe a photo album, and some clothes?

    ReplyDelete